There is a wide range of specialist provision in Barnet, including four Special Schools and several mainstream schools with 'additional resourced provision'.
'Additional Resourced Provision' is available at the following schools:
For children with a diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Condition:
- Broadfields Primary (primary)
- Chalgrove Primary (primary)
- Childs Hill Primary (primary)
- Claremont Primary (primary)
- Coppetts Wood Primary (primary)
- Livingstone Primary (primary)
- The Orion (primary)
- JCOSS (secondary)
- Hendon School (secondary)
- Whitefield (secondary)
For children with a severe hearing impairment:
For children with complex physical needs:
- Colindale School (primary)
Children in the early years with severe and complex needs may be able to attend the Acorn Assessment Nursery based at Oakleigh Special School.
Barnet has four special schools. Children and young people who attend these schools have an EHC Plan.
- Northway School provides for children aged 4 to 11 years with moderate learning difficulties and additional needs
- Oakleigh School provides for children aged 2 to 11 with severe and complex needs and a wide range of special needs
- Oak Lodge School provides for children and young people 11 to 19 years with moderate learning difficulties and complex needs
- Mapledown School provides for children 11 to 19 years with severe learning difficulties and complex needs
- Oak Hill School provides for children age 10 to 19 years with social, emotional and mental health needs
- Kisharon School provides for children age 4 to 19 years with complex needs
Pupil Referral Units
- The Pavilion Study Centre is a Pupil Referral Unit for young people aged 11-16 years who have been permanently excluded from school.
- Northgate School specialises in secondary-aged students suffering from mental health challenges
- The Home and Hospital Tuition Team provides for children and young people 5-16 with medical needs
Children and young people who attend these provisions usually have an EHC Plan, with the exception of the Home and Hospital Tuition Team, and Acorn. There are nursery places available at Livingstone, Summerside and Colindale Primary Schools and placements can be arranged with professional input without an EHC Plan.
Non-maintained and independent special schools
The Local Authority always prefers to place children and young people in Barnet’s specialist provision. This ensures the most efficient level of spending and facilitates children and young people being educated close to their local community, having more local employment and training opportunities and encouraging good social links. Very occasionally, it may be necessary to seek provision for children and young people from outside the Local Authority.
You can find a list of Independent schools for pupils with special educational needs, including those approved under section 41 of the Children and Families Act on the Gov.uk website here.