Transitions in Health Services

If you receive CAMHS services

You will be seen by CAMHS until your 18th birthday, after which you may transfer to another service, including adult mental health.

From age 17.5, the people caring for you at CAMHS will start to discuss with you and your parents and carers (if appropriate) your transition plan for when you are 18.  They will discuss all the options with you an agree the best plan for you.  If you do transfer to Adult services a meeting will be held between CAMHS and Adult services to discuss your needs and agree a transition date.  Another meeting may be held between you, your CAMHS clinician and the team you will be going to, to answer any questions you may have and to prepare you for the new service.  Your CAMHS team and the adult team will work together during your transition.

If you are not going to adult services, the people caring for you will still discuss your transition with you from age 17.5 and help you make a plan that is right for you.

If you are under the care of a paediatrician

Your paediatrician will discuss transition arrangements with you in the years after you/ your child turns 14, make the appropriate referrals to specialist adult health services and answer any questions you might have about transition.
Your paediatrician will hand over your care to your GP and go through this with you in your final appointment. If you do not regularly meet with your GP, it may be useful for you to request an Annual Health Check with your GP before your 18th birthday (for those age 14+ with learning disabilities). Contact your GP about this.

If you have the diagnosis of a learning disability

When you turn 17, the Adult Community Learning Disabilities (CLD) Team will be notified by your current lead professional.  At age 18, you will transition to the CLD team for your health needs. If you have a social worker, you will transfer to the CLD Team at age 25 for your social care.

If you receive a package of continuing care

Once you reach the age of 18, you would no longer be eligible for continuing care for children, but may be eligible for NHS Continuing Healthcare. Your current continuing care nurse or community matron will discuss this with you as part of transition planning.

At 14 years of age, the CCG will be notified that you are likely to need an assessment for NHS Continuing Healthcare.

At 16 -17 years of age, screening for NHS Continuing Healthcare should be undertaken using the adult screening tool, and an agreement in principle about whether you are likely to need Adult NHS Continuing Healthcare.

At 18 years of age, full transition to adult NHS Continuing Healthcare or to universal and specialist health services should have been made, except in instances where this is not appropriate.

If you receive therapy (speech and language, physiotherapy or occupational therapy)

You will continue to receive therapy services until the outcomes stated in your EHCP relating to therapy as a SEND need are reached (up until the age of 25), subject to annual review. If you continue to receive therapy between the ages of 19 and 25 a transitions therapist will support you, including therapeutic support from Occupational therapy, Speech and Language Therapy or Physiotherapy. Your transitions therapist will work closely with Social Care to ensure that you are receiving support around managing your own condition and achieving your goals e.g. employment.

Therapy provision as stated in your EHCP is only provided up to 25 whilst you are still in education or training (including supported internships and supported apprenticeships) and does not include further education (university). If this is the case, speak to your university about making reasonable adjustments.

If you have diabetes

Your children’s diabetes service will make a referral to the adult diabetes service and you will start seeing them from age 18.

If you have epilepsy

Your children’s epilepsy service will make a referral to the adult epilepsy service and you will start seeing them from age 18.