Supported Internships provide on-site practical work training, for young adults with special educational needs to gain work skills, leading to competitive paid employment.
The entry requirements are:
- that students are aged 18-24 on the 31 August in the year of the programme (however in certain circumstances students are accepted from age 16) and have an Education, Health and Care Plan provided through the Local Authority or be in the process of obtaining one
- the student must commit to a 5 day a week programme and be an independent traveller or be willing to be trained to do so.
Supported Internships are designed to develop transferable skills, knowledge and attitudes in readiness for paid employment. Students can develop Employability, Customer Service, Confidence, Maths, English and ICT whilst working alongside employees in a real employment setting. The classroom based learning at the workplace enables young people to try out three different work roles, supported by the tutor and the job coach.
Benefits of the programme:
- Participate in a variety of placements at a high status local employer
- acquire competitive, transferable and marketable job skills
- gain increased independence, confidence, self-esteem and friendship groups
- receive work-based individual instruction, coaching, support and feedback from the job coach, teacher and host business managers
- access to qualification in English, Maths and Work Skills.
Mencap is a learning disability charity working across England, Wales and Northern Ireland. Their work covers all aspects of people’s lives including education and employment.
As part of Mencap’s aim to see as many people with a learning disability in paid work, they have developed a range of employment programmes as shown on the attached flowchart. For the past 12 months, Mencap has been delivering a Supported Internship programme in Barnet. They are really keen to develop more referrals for September 2020 to ensure that the programme is accessed by those that would benefit most from the support on offer.
To be eligible, candidates need to be:
- Aged 16-24
- Have a current EHCP
- Be available to complete a full time study programme
- Want to work
- Able to travel independently by the end of the programme (Mencap provide travel training)
- Able to work after 12 months on the programme
For more information about the programme visit here. You can also see Patrick’s story here
To find out more about how you can work with Mencap or to refer people to the programme, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org, or 07903 643509
Information on all the Supported Internships available to Barnet Residents is available here: