Organisation or Service
Description of activity
We are a team made up of qualified teachers and specialist practitioners who specialise in the area of supporting children and young people on the Autism Spectrum. We aim to ensure that children have the opportunity to reach their full potential in all areas of development including academic, social and emotional wellbeing.
We work to support Barnet mainstream schools (primary and secondary) by offering:
• A variety of autism specific training and workshop packages.
• School visits - including joint observations and feedback meetings to develop individual SEN plans according to children’s needs.
• Bespoke support and advice in implementing autism specific strategies.
• Attendance at key professionals meetings.
The team is accessed through completion of a Child Development referral form which should be completed by an education professional (usually the SENCo) of the Barnet maintained school at which the child is attending. The education professional making the referral should:
• Call a member of the autism advisory team for a brief discussion regarding the needs of the child. The school may be asked to complete a pre-referral checklist and/or the referral form.
• Ensure the child has a diagnosis of autism.
• Discuss the referral form with the child’s parents/carers.
Please see our 'Autism Advisory Team' webpage for more information on how we work and details on our referral process.