Before a request for an EHC assessment is made, the child or young person would normally have in place a support plan that shows how agencies have worked together to identify and support the pupils needs and identifies how the pupil has been supported using resources which are normally available in the setting.


When can a request for an EHC needs assesment be made?

A request for an EHC needs assessment may be made when:

  • Normally available special educational provision currently being made from the setting’s own resources is not enabling the child or young person to make progress that is expected for him or her, following purposeful interventions over time


  • When the special educational provision required to meet the child or young person’s special educational needs cannot be reasonably provided from the resources normally available to the early education provider or school.


If a setting is making an application for an EHC needs assessment the local authority would expect to see that specialist advice has been sought and that their recommendations have been carried out. They will also want to know what difference this additional provision has made.


If, despite the setting having taken relevant and purposeful action to identify, assess and meet the SEN of the child or young person, the child or young person has not made expected progress, the setting, parents/carers or young people themselves age 16+ may consider requesting an EHC needs assessment.


Can a family make a request for an EHC Needs Assessment?

If the family wants to make the request, it is usually best to talk first to their child’s setting or professionals working with their child. People who are familiar with the family should be able to help the family to decide whether an assessment is needed and how they think it might help.


What happens when the EHC Needs Assessment has been received?

Once a request for an EHC Needs Assessment has been received, the local authority has 6 weeks to decide whether or not to conduct an EHC needs assessment.


How do I make a request for an EHC Needs Assessment?

If you would like to make a request for an EHC Needs Assessment please use this form. Send the completed form along with any supporting evidence to  If you are a parent or carer making the request yourself, SENDIASS can provide you with advice and guidance on the application.  You may also find the 'Special educational needs and disability: A guide for parents and carers" from the Department of Education useful.