What is BEAM?
BEAM’s service is part of Barnet’s specialist autism services and has been designed for families of pre-school children under 5 (with a confirmed diagnosis of autism). BEAM acts as an early intervention service based in the home; families receive home visits from a trained autism specialist facilitator, who will teach and model strategies through structured activities that are based on the needs of the individual child. The intervention focuses on:
- social communication skills
- attention skills
- play skills
- emotional regulation (related to behaviour)
- educational skills
Parents/carers use the BEAM sessions to learn skills that they can apply consistently throughout the week, which will maximise opportunities for social communication. We encourage a positive attitude towards child development, focussing on a child’s strengths and building on their existing skills. Please see our flyer for more details. To view our BEAM offer, see BEAM offer document.
Support offered by our BEAM service goes beyond structured home-based sessions with a child and also includes:
- Access to our Multidisciplinary Pre-school Autism Parent Programme and monthly BEAM Parent Group
- Some children will have access to a BEAM Speech and Language Therapist
- Support for nursery settings, to include modelling sessions, providing resources, observations and feedback (with next steps) and attending review meetings
- Early Support Work: Support and signposting to outside agencies that provide support for families eg SENDIASS, MENCAP, Homestart.
- Support with Education Health Care Plans/SENIF funding requests
- Target setting and review processes to track children’s progress, using the SCERTS framework.
- Visit school settings with parents.
Autism Pre-School Parent Programme
We offer access to our multi-disciplinary parent programme, which runs throughout the year. This was designed using feedback from parents and includes the following sessions:
- Autism Education Trust - Introduction to Autism (AET)
- Structure, Routine, and Managing Change
- Promoting Communication
- Understanding Education and Health Care Plans
- Understanding Sensory Processing
- Eating and Drinking Difficulties
This Autumn term 2020 we have the following programmes running:
How do I access the service?
In order to access BEAM services, your child must;
- Live in the London Borough of Barnet
- Have a diagnosis of Autism
- Not be accessing a Barnet Specialist SEN Nursery (Acorn or Livingstone Autism provision nursery)
Referrals are often made by paediatricians at the point of a diagnosis of autism, however referrals can be made by parents / carers and other professionals using the Child Development Service referral form.
Contact BEAM.Team@barnet.gov.uk for all enquiries.
BEAM Service Evaluation 2018/19 coming soon