A free virtual conference for Barnet parents, carers and professionals that has been jointly organised by education, health, social care and representatives of the Barnet SEND parent community.
Our virtual conference will take place on:
- Tuesday 10th November
- Wednesday 11th November
- Thursday 12th November
The conference has been developed to ensure the Barnet community has an opportunity to gain greater awareness of SEND developments, structures and services in Barnet from key professionals and senior leaders across education, health and social care. There will also be a range of exciting workshops for parents, carers and professionals to join.
The conference aims to:
• provide an update on the developments from education, health and social care, since the last conference in June 2019 with regards to meeting the needs of children and young people (0- 25) with SEND in Barnet.
• offer a question and answer panel to provide an opportunity for parents / carers and professionals to pose questions and hear responses from senior professionals across Barnet SEND services
• provide further insight into Barnet’s Local Offer and how this can be accessed and utilised by both parents/carers and professionals
• hear from Barnet’s Parent/Carer Forum (BPCF) about their role and work they are currently undertaking
• offer an opportunity for a range of services to share key information
This year our Keynote Speaker is Professor Barry Carpenter, CBE, OBE, PhD, who in a career spanning over 40 years has held a variety of leadership positions in schools and local authorities. He is the UK’s first Professor in Mental Health in Education, a Chair created for him at Oxford Brookes University. Barry Carpenter is Honorary Professor at universities in the UK, Ireland, Germany and Australia. He has been a Fellow of the University of Oxford. In July 2020 he was awarded the Distinguished Fellowship of the Chartered College of Teaching, for his leadership of the Education field during the pandemic. Barry also brings his perspective as a father to his child with special educational needs.
In his keynote speech ‘The Recovery Curriculum: Reigniting Learning’, Barry will share his extensive knowledge and expertise to consider:
- the emotional impact of the pandemic on children
- the ‘loss’ experienced and how we might rebuild emotional resilience in children - the aims and purpose of a Recovery Curriculum
- the process of reigniting learning in the disengaged
- the extra considerations needed for children with SEND, especially Autism
- resources to support children and aid teaching
There will also be the opportunity for a short Question & Answer session.
Please see attached agenda for further details about the conference.
BOOKING LINK: To register your place, please click on the website address below which will take you to the registration form.
Is there a cost for this service?
Files and Documents and Images
- Barnet Virtual SEND Conference Agenda 2020 (Adobe Portable Document Format, 521 KB)